Sunday, July 1, 2012

Trial run and Foot Numbness

Kait and I hit up the firecracker 4k course for a practice run in preparation for race day (July 4th). Our time was a blistering 28:48 which wasn't too bad given that we were both pretty tight and the course pretty much sucks (certainly not one of my favorite). There is no doubt in my mind that we can shave a couple of minutes off of that on race day. I'd like for us to get under 26:00, but that might be pushing it for a 4k this early in our training.

Kait experienced some numbness in her feet towards the end of the run which isn't uncommon, but is a serious pain in the butt (and feet). For me, I find that this generally occurs when I first get back into running, get a new pair of shoes (especially when I get new shoes), or run on the treadmill (less frequently). I've read numerous articles that suggest that it may be due to feet swelling during a more intense workout. I've run with quite a few new runners and they all seem to have this problem at some point or another, which leads me to believe that it's a combination of swelling feet, tight tendons in the feet and shoes that have not fully broken in yet. As the article suggests, it's common, but something worth keeping an eye on.

In other news, I'm starting to think about a training diet and will be posting my suggested diet in the next couple of days (if not later tonight). I think it's important to start tracking meals sooner rather than later. Ideally one would plan all meals in advance based on the desired caloric intake and distribution. A good website for such planning or on the fly assessments is fitness pal . You can make an account and get the nutrition information for individual food items or recipes. It's a great place to store foods that you commonly eat and it even allows you to track your workouts. It has a lot of nifty features, more than I've ever used. It even has an app for your phone!! Oh the world we live in...

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment